- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 1 cup cubed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced into thin half moons
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Smoked salt, to finish
- Skillet or Dutch oven for sautéing
- 8x8 Casserole for baking, greased
1. In medium saucepan, bring stock to boil. Add oats and potato and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until liquid has completely absorbed, approximately 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in large enameled casserole dish or skillet over low heat. Add shallots and pinch of salt. Cook shallots, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown. Turn up heat to medium and continue caramelizing shallots until tender and darker in color.
3. Stir spinach into shallots, sauté until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Preheat oven to 450˚.
5. Stir cooked oatmeal/potato into spinach/shallot mixture.
6. Stir whisked eggs and parsley into oatmeal mixture.
7. Press oatmeal mixture into greased casserole dish, making an even layer.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the top has browned slightly.
9. Sprinkle a little smoked salt on top to finish before serving