Samantha Harris is making vegetarian burgers packed with flavor.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 pinch Himalayan or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ⅛ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Extra-virgin olive oil
Samantha Harris's Black Bean Burgers - Home & Family
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Mix sweet potato, pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon avocado oil in a heatproof dish and roast 20-25 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- In a small saute pan, brown the onion on medium heat with 1 tablespoon avocado oil.
- In a food processor, combine all the rest of the ingredients, except for the olive oil, with the sweet potato and onion mixture and pulse. Be careful not to overmix. Let the mixture cool in the fridge for about an hour, then form into 6 (6-ounce) patties.
- Thinly coat the burgers on both sides with olive oil and brown them in a cast-iron skillet or saute pan on medium-high heat.
- Serve on sprouted whole grain buns topped with guacamole, fresh tomatoes, or salsa.