- 3 1⁄2 – 4 pound whole fresh chicken
FOR THE HERB RUB:
- 12-15 fresh sage leaves (about 1 tbs. Chopped) 4-6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4-6 sprigs fresh rosemary (about 2 tbs. Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons finely ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
FOR THE MAPLE GARLIC GLAZE:
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- additional kosher salt & black pepper, as needed
ALSO HAVE HANDY:
- 4 to 6 inches of butcher’s string, 12 inch piece of heavy duty aluminum foil
- Cutting board
- roasting pan
- 2 small prep bowls tongs
- digital thermometer heavy duty aluminum foil butcher’s string
- paper towels
FOR MAPLE DIJON VINAIGRETTE:
- 2 tbs. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs. White wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Pinch salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 c. Crisp salad greens, cleaned & patted dry
- Option: 1/2 c. Pecans, roughly chopped
- Option: freshly shaved parmesan cheese
- Maple dijon vinaigrette
Recipe Courtesy of Jessica Roy, 2019
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees f. Pull the chicken out of the fridge 20-30 minutes prior to cooking, so it can come down to room temperature. Remove any giblets or innards, and pat the chicken dry both inside the cavity and over the skin. Gently cut out the wishbone with a paring knife, and trim away any excess or floppy skin & fat.
2. Meanwhile, make the herb rub: place remove the rosemary & sage from their stems. Place the herbs in one pile in the center of a cutting board. Pour 1 tbs kosher salt & 2 tsp black pepper over top of the herb pile. Chop the pile, all ingredients together, until the finely chopped and almost powdery in texture. Combine the herb rub with 1 clove grated garlic and 2 tbs olive oil in a small bowl. Stir all of these ingredients together with a fork to form a paste.
3. In a separate small bowl, make the maple garlic glaze: combine 1 clove pasted garlic, 2 tbs maple syrup, and 1 tbs olive oil, stir with a fork to incorporate.
4. Starting at the top of the breast, slide your fingers underneath the chicken skin, working to loosen the skin away from the meat all over the bird- including around the legs and thighs. Work slowly and take extra care not to tear the skin. Tuck the wing tips underneath the back side of the breasts.
5. Rub the herb paste all over the chicken meat, underneath the loosened skin. Be sure to try and reach the leg and thigh meat under the skin. Pour the maple garlic glaze all over the top of the chicken skin, specifically the breast, legs and thighs. Use hands or a pastry brush to ensure the glaze is evenly spread all over the whole chicken.
6. Scrunch the aluminum foil together and shape into a ring about 3 inches in diameter. Place the foil ring into the center of a roasting pan, and set the chicken on top of it, breast side up. Cross the chicken legs and tie them together at the bone with butcher’s string.
7. Put the chicken pan into the center of the preheated oven. After 35 minutes of cooking, remove the whole pan from the oven. Use a heavy duty set of tongs to flip the entire chicken over so that it now rests on the foil ring, breast side down (wings tips up). Return the chicken pan to the oven and cook until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part between the leg and thigh reads 165 degrees f – about 10 to 15 minutes longer. Remove the chicken pan from the oven and place a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the chicken, but do not seal it shut. Allow the chicken to rest for at least 15 minutes, still upside down, before carving.
CRISP GREENS SALAD WITH MAPLE DIJON VINAIGRETTE
MAPLE DIJON VINAIGRETTE:
1. Place all ingredients in a mason jar, secure the lid, and shake until fully combined- about 1 minute. Taste, and season as desired with additional salt and pepper.
1. Place the chopped pecans into a small nonstick sauté pan over medium-low heat. Allow to toast until nuts are fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Gently shake the pan every now and again to allow for even toasting. Remove from heat and let the pecans cool.
2. Pour 1/2 of the maple dijon vinaigrette around the sides of a large salad bowl. Add the crisp greens and toss in the vinaigrette until greens are coated and shiny. Taste, and add more vinaigrette as desired for flavor. Sprinkle toasted pecans atop the greens, along with freshly shaved parmesan cheese, to taste. Store any leftover vinaigrette in the mason jar in the refrigerator for later use.