Ingredients for the pork:
- One 4-pound boneless pork shoulder
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 10 anchovy fillets, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup beef or vegetable stock
Ingredients for the Salmoriglio Sauce:
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 10 fresh mint leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
Directions for the pork:
- Rub the pork with salt and sugar, wrap it in plastic wrap, and let it rest overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- With a wet cloth, wipe the remaining sugar and salt from the pork. Put the oregano, thyme, anchovies, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a food processor and blend into a fine paste. Rub the paste all over the meat.
- Pour the olive oil in a pot or casserole large enough to hold the pork and turn the heat to medium. Add the meat and brown it on all sides. Add the stock, cover the pot, and transfer it to the oven. Roast the pork until it is fork-tender, about 3 ½ hours.
Directions for the sauce:
- Combine the garlic, pine nuts, shallots, mint, thyme, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and onion powder either in a food processor or in a bowl with a whisk.
Slice the meat in thick slices (a serrated knife works well) and drizzle with the salmoriglio.
Fabio's new cookbook, "Fabio's Italian Kitchen," is available at www.amazon.com. For more information on the chef and to subscribe to his newsletter, "Fabio's Kitchen Academy," go to www.fabioviviani.com.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.