- 2 tbls unsalted butter
- 1 onion, yellow, small dice
- 1 celery stock, small dice
- 2 carrots, peeled, medium sized, small dice
- 2 parsnips, peeled, medium sized, small dice
- 1 turnip, peeled, medium sized, small dice
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, chopped fine
- 3 tbls all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cup chicken stock/chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 thyme, sprigs
- 1 ½ lbs cooked chicken meat
- TT kosher Salt
- TT black pepper, ground
- 1 egg, large
- 1 large sheet puff pastry, thawed but well chilled (about 8 oz)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a 12-inch cast iron pan over medium heat add butter and allow to melt. Add the onions, celery, carrots, parsnips, turnips and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes, let the vegetables brown a bit and cook until just tender. Sprinkle the flour in and stir until completely mixed in, about 1 minute. Raise the heat to medium-high and stir in the chicken stock follow by ¾ cup milk and cream. Add the thyme springs, while stirring reduce heat to medium and cook the vegetables for about another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and gently stir in the chicken. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to desired taste. Cool the mix slightly and remove the thyme stems.
3. In a small mixing bowl, add the egg and remaining 1 tbls of milk. With a whisk mix well. On a very light floured surface make sure and roll the puff pastry sheet into a 14-inch square.
4. Brush some of the egg mixture on the rim of the cast iron pan. Lay the pastry over the pan and press gently. With a pastry brush lightly brush the egg mixture over the entire piece of pastry, sprinkle a little salt over and place in the center of the oven. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden in color and puffed up.
5. Remove from oven, let rest for about 3 minutes and serve.