Ingredients for Soup
- 1 head cauliflower or Romanesco
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 small Yukon Gold potato, diced
Ingredients for Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Cumin
- 1-pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices on the diagonal
- 1-pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices on the diagonal
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted cumin seeds*
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 bunch mint, leaves only, chopped
Directions for Soup
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Cut the cauliflower into florets. In a bowl, toss florets with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay florets in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in oven until the bottoms of florets touching the pan are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large stockpot, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sauté onion until soft. Add garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes more. Deglaze pan with wine and simmer until reduced slightly. Add roasted cauliflower and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the cream and the diced potato and let simmer until the potato is soft.
4. In a blender or food processor, puree finished soup and return to pot. Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve.
DIrections for Roasted Carrots
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Combine the carrots, parsnips, garlic, cumin seeds, honey, olive oil, water, salt and pepper in a medium baking dish. Toss well. Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Remove the cover and continue baking until the carrots begin to caramelize, about 20 minutes longer. There should be no liquid remaining in the pan. Sprinkle with the lime juice and mint and serve hot or cold.
* Seeds, such as coriander and cumin, develop a fuller flavor with roasting. Simply place in a dry pan over medium heat and keep shaking and tossing the pan until their aroma is released, no more than a minute.