Ingredients for the Butter End Cream Cheese Buttercream
- ½ lb Butter, unsalted, softened
- 12 oz Philly Cream cheese, softened
- 8 c. Sugar, confectioners, sifted
- 1/3 C. Heavy cream
- 1T. Vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Butter End Red Velvet Cake
- 1 ½ C. Vegetable oil
- 1C. Buttermilk, room temp
- 2 Eggs, whole, room temp
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Vinegar, white distilled
- 1 T Red food color
- 4 drops Gel color, maroon
- 2 ½ C. Flour, AP
- 1 ½ C. Sugar, granulated
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ C. Cocoa powder
Ingredients for the Butter End Vanilla Bean Cake
- 12 oz. (3 sticks) Butter, unsalted, softened
- 2 c. Sugar, granulated
- 2 T Pure Vanilla Extract
- 5 Eggs, whole, room temp
- 2 oz. Sour cream, room temp
- 3 c. Flour, AP
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1c. Milk, whole, room temp
- 1T +/- Blue Food Dye
For the Butter End Cream Cheese Buttercream:
1. Soften butter and cream cheese and sift confectioners sugar.
2. With mixer on lowest speed, beat the butter, cream cheese & vanilla extract until creamy and fully incorporated.
3. Add half the conf. sugar and pulse a few times before mixing on low speed.
4. Add the cream and remaining sugar until desired consistency. Increase speed of mixer for a few seconds to make sure everything is nicely incorporated.
For the Butter End Red Velvet Cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350℉.
2. Grease and line two 8” round pans with parchment.
1. Mise all ingredients. Everything should be room temperature. Sift together flour, sugar, b. soda, salt and cocoa and set aside.
2. In a mixer using a whip attachment, mix the liquid ingredients until incorporated.
3. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the liquid mixture in 2 additions until a smooth batter is formed. Scrape bowl. The oil should not separate from the batter.
4. Pour the batter evenly into the two prepared pans.
a. tip: for a level cake, wrap the outside of the pans with soaked leveling strips before putting them in the oven.
5. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
For the Butter End Vanilla Bean Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350℉
2. Grease and parchment-line two 8” round pans.
3. Mise all ingredients. Everything should be room temperature. Sift together flour, b. powder and b. soda and salt.
4. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and scrape the bowl.
5. Add sour cream on low speed. Scrape
6. Add eggs in a slow stream with mixer on low speed. Scrape.
7. Alternate adding sifted dry ingredients and milk to batter in 5 additions on low speed, starting and ending with dry. Scrape bowl after each addition of milk. When final incorporation of dry ingredients is just combined, turn mixer off and finish folding batter by hand until it is completely mixed and smooth. DO NOT OVERMIX!!
8. Add blue food dye to desired hue.
9. Pour batter into two greased and parchment-lined 8” round pans, filling pans half way or so. TIP: For level cakes, wrap the outside of the cake pans with soaked leveling strips before putting into the oven.
Note: (If there is left-over batter, fill cupcake liners and enjoy some cupcakes!)
10. Bake for about 25 minutes, until top is a light golden brown, and toothpick comes out clean in the center. Time will vary depending on oven.
1. Refrigerate or freeze the cake layers in the pans.
2. Once cold, de-pan and carefully level all four layers with a large serrated bread knife.
3. Place a little buttercream on a base plate or board and place a layer of red velvet cake on the plate.
4. Spread the cream cheese buttercream on the layer, allowing the frosting to go to the edge, trying not to get crumbs in the frosting.
5. Place a vanilla cake layer on top of the frosting, and repeat with the remaining cake and frosting.
6. Finish the top with a layer of frosting and decorate with fun confetti sprinkles and tiny festive flags. Happy 4th of July!