- 4 Garlic Cloves peeled finely chopped
- ½ onion finely chopped
- chicken (reserved from stock)
- 1 cup vinegar (any kind)
- 1 cup water (or broth)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste (optional)
- sugar or maple syrup to sweeten (optional)
Ingredients for the Chicken Stock
- 1 whole free-range chicken
- Feet from chicken
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch parsley
For the Chicken:
1. Sauté onions and garlic until soft in tsp of olive oil.
2. Add vinegar, broth (water), soy sauce, add chicken bring to a boil. Simmer 10-20 minutes.
3. Add maple syrup or sugar to taste if sauce is too tart for your liking.
4. Serve with rice.
If you are using a whole chicken, cut off the wings, remove gizzards from the cavity. By all means, use chicken feet- they are full of gelatin. Farm raised free range chickens give the best results.
For the Stock:
1. Cut chicken parts into several pieces, place chicken or chicken pieces in a large pot with water, vinegar and vegetables except parsley.
2. Let stand 30 minutes to 1hour. Bring to a boil, and remove scum that rises to the top. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 6 to 24 hours. The longer you cook the stock the richer and more flavorful it will be.
3. About 10 minutes before finishing the stock add parsley. This will impart additional mineral ions to the broth.
4. Remove whole chicken or pieces with a slotted spoon or colander. If you are using a whole chicken, let cool and remove chicken meat from the carcass. Reserve for other dishes.
For the Basic Thai Jasmine White Rice:
1. Sort and rinse rice before cooking.
2. Combine 2 cups rice with 3 cups water or broth.
3. Add 1 tsp olive oil or salt (optional).
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat.
6. Cover with lid.
7. Simmer for 18-20 minutes.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Fluff with a fork and serve.