Directions for Limas and Crowder Peas with Crispy Lardons and Mint
1) Cut the bacon strips crossways about ⅓" thick.
2) Heat a large skillet (cast iron preferred) on medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook about 10 minutes until crispy and most of the fat is rendered. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon to ensure even cooking. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to doubled up paper towel to wick away the grease. Reserve two tablespoons of bacon grease from the skillet; discard the rest.
3) Return to medium heat and add the butter. Allow the butter to melt into the grease. Mix together with the spoon. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until tender and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Place the limas and the crowder peas in the skillet and pour in the chicken broth. Stir well. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes until tender. Take off the heat and stir in the fresh mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4) Spoon onto a serving platter. Scatter the crispy lardons on top. Garnish with additional mint leaves. Serve immediately.
- Lardons are a fancy version of Bacon Bits
- Limas, butter beans, crowder peas are all “field peas” in Southern cooking
- Can make this dish all year long with frozen limas, other field peas and edamame
Directions for Cast Iron Skillet with Red Pepper
1) Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat until it’s good and hot, about 2-3 minutes. Add the butter and let it melt and bubble. Place the corn in the skillet and let it toast about 7-8 minutes until the kernels start to turn slightly brown and start to pop. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.
2) Add the red pepper to the corn and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cream and heat through another minute or two. Season with salt and pepper. Finish with the basil.
3) Serve immediately.
- Cut the corn off the cob using a Bundt pan to catch the kernels
- Use salted butter, which is the trick to a perfect dish
- Corn is ready when it “pops” like popcorn
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page