Ingredients Pumpkin Spaetzle
- 3 eggs
- 6 ounces pumpkin puree
- 2 oz milk
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbs honey
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 8.5 oz ap flour
- 2 Tbs chives
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp chopped sage
Ingredients for Spiced Heirloom Cranberry Sauce
- 1lb. heirloom cranberries
- 8 oz sugar
- 16 oz fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 1 orange (zest only)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
Ingredients for Sachet
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 oz nub fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
Ingredients for Seared Hen of the Woods Mushrooms
- 1 lb. hen of the woods mushrooms, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Tbs canola oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs chopped shallots
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 Tbs chopped garlic
- 2 oz Madeira
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
1. Place eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, salt, pepper, cinnamon and honey in the blender and blend on high for 30 seconds to completely mix.
2. Pour the pumpkin mixture into a large bowl and sift on top the flour. Add herbs. Begin mixing with one hand, pulling and slapping the dough for 10 minutes to develop gluten in the batter.
3. With either a spätzle mandolin or a perforated pan, push the dough through the perforations into salted boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes, then scoop out with a spider or straining tool, draining the majority of water on the way and deposit to a bowl. Toss in a few drops of canola oil to prevent sticking. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. When ready to serve, heat a nonstick pan on medium heat. Toast spätzle in a little bit of butter until lightly crispy and toss with chopped sage. Serve immediately.
SPICED HEIRLOOM CRANBERRY SAUCE:
1. Bring to a simmer in a non-reactive pot all ingredients except for the sachet.
2. Wrap all ingredients for the sachet in cheese cloth and tie off with butchers twine leaving a 1 foot tail of twine on one end, creating a bag for the spices.
3. Tie off the long end of the butchers twine to the handle of the pot for easy removal.
4. Cook for one hour on medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until mixture becomes moderately thick.
5. Remove from heat. Remove sachet. Puree with a blender until smooth.
SEARED HEN OF THE WOODS MUSHROOMS:
1. Heat a large saute pan over high heat. Add hen of the woods mushrooms, season with salt and cook until lightly golden.
2. Add butter, turn down heat to medium and continue cooking until mushrooms have