Directions for Pasta
1) In an 8qt sauce pot, bring to a boil 3-4 qt water and season with salt (salty like the sea)
2) In a large saute pan, heat the butter and oil over medium high heat; cook to brown
3) Drop the agnolotti in the boiling water and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the pasta is cooked al dent
4) Add 1-2oz pasta cooking water to the browned butter, then add the pasta
5) Reduce the heat and allow the pasta to cook in the sauce, finish with about 1 tbls butter and remove from the heat
6) The sauce should be emulsified, not broken and greasy; add more pasta water if needed
7) Transfer the pasta to a serving dish and top with parmigiano-reggiano
8) Granish with the walnuts and pesto, or serve on the side
DIrections for Potato Leek Filling
1) In a saute pan on low to medium heat combine the leeks and butter; season with salt and pepper; allow to cook over low heat for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the leeks are falling apart; remove from the heat and cool
2) Peel the skins from the potatoes and combine with the leeks
3) Using a meat grinder or a food mill, grind the potato and leek together and place mixture in a mixing bowl
4) Add the remaining ingredients and mix together well
5) Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Directions for Pesto
1) In a blender, place all ingredients
2) Blend on high to puree all ingredients
3) BLEND QUICKLY AS THE MOTOR WILL HEAT THE PESTO AND DISCOLOR IT
4) Taste and adjust seasoning
5) Cover, label, date and refrigerate
Making/Cooking the Agnolotti
1) Roll out pasta to 4x12 inches in dimension - the dough should be sheeted out as thin as possible - almost transparent.
2) On the lower half of the sheeted dough add 2 tsp of filling about 1 inch apart.
3) Brush water lightly with a pastry brush down across the lower edge of one side of the sheeted pasta and then fold the other half of the dough over the filling and press down in between filling pockets to and remove as much air as possible before sealing. It is important to remove as much air as possible to prevent from opening while cooking.
4) Next cut filled/sealed pasta in to 1 x 1 inches and cook 2-3 minutes.