Ingredients for American Burger (serves 2)
- 11 ounces Ground Chuck or Ground Round
- 2.5 ounces Ground Navel
- 2.5 ounces Ground Short Rib
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 slices Swiss Emmental Cheese (or Aged Cheddar, or English Shropshire)
- 2 Potato Buns
- 4 leaves Green Leaf Lettuce
- 2 Oven-Roasted Roma Tomatoes (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons Caramelized Onion
Ingredients for Roma Tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
Directions for Burgers
1. Mix meats together until just combined, do not overwork the mixture.
2. Form meat into two 8-ounce patties.
3. Heat grill to medium-high.
4. Season patties with salt and pepper on the outside just before placing on grill.
5. Grill burgers until desired doneness is achieved. Add cheese slice when burger is almost finished cooking, allow it to melt. Remove burgers from grill to rest briefly.
6. Assembly: bottom bun, caramelized onion (1 tbs per burger), patty, cheese, 2 pieces oven roasted tomato, lettuce, top bun.
Directions for Roma Tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a bowl, stir together olive oil, thyme, garlic, and salt. Toss tomatoes in mixture until coated. Place tomato halves cut side up on baking sheet with a wire rack. Spoon remaining oil mixture over tomatoes.
2. Transfer baking sheet to oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours, give or take depending on size of tomatoes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.