Executive chef of The Arthur J restaurant, Danny Waked is making the perfect burger with cheese and short rib.
Ingredients for American Burger (serves 2)
- 11 ounces Ground Chuck or Ground Round
- 2.5 ounces Ground Navel
- 2.5 ounces Ground Short Rib
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 slices Swiss Emmental Cheese (or Aged Cheddar, or English Shropshire)
- 2 Potato Buns
- 4 leaves Green Leaf Lettuce
- 2 Oven-Roasted Roma Tomatoes (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons Caramelized Onion
Ingredients for Roma Tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- Mix meats together until just combined, do not overwork the mixture.
- Form meat into two 8-ounce patties.
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Season patties with salt and pepper on the outside just before placing on grill.
- Grill burgers until desired doneness is achieved. Add cheese slice when burger is almost finished cooking, allow it to melt. Remove burgers from grill to rest briefly.
- Assembly: bottom bun, caramelized onion (1 tbs per burger), patty, cheese, 2 pieces oven roasted tomato, lettuce, top bun.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a bowl, stir together olive oil, thyme, garlic, and salt. Toss tomatoes in mixture until coated. Place tomato halves cut side up on baking sheet with a wire rack. Spoon remaining oil mixture over tomatoes.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours, give or take depending on size of tomatoes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.