- 12 to 16 medium shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons grape seed or olive oil + 1 tablespoon for brushing
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 4 ounces tempeh, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 to 16 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms. Brush the bottom of each mushroom with a little grape seed oil and arrange them bottom-side down in a baking dish.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the fenugreek seeds. Sauté for a minute. Then add the onion, garlic, and fennel. Sauté over a medium heat, constantly stirring, until the onion and fennel are soft. Next, add the tempeh and sauté for 2 to 3 more minutes. Stir in the tamari. Then add the pecans and breadcrumbs and sauté for another minute. Season well with sea salt and pepper.
3. Place 1 teaspoon olive oil into each mushroom. Spoon the vegetable mixture into the mushroom shells.
4. Cover with foil
and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
5. Sprinkle with parsley
Get more from Sophie at SophieUliano.com
You can now purchase Sophie's book, "Gorgeous for Good" on Amazon.com
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.