1. Preheat oven to 350f and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the butter, oil, brown sugar, eggs, water and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Whisk until smooth.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, whisking in thirds until combined.
5. Transfer batter to the loaf pan. Top with the sliced pears standing upright in alternating pattern. Sprinkle with oats and walnuts.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and risen and a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool and remove cake from the tin and slice!