Ingredients for Pan Seared Black Cod
- 6oz Local Skin-on Black Cod
- ¼ cup melted leeks
- ½ cup maitake mushrooms
- ¼ cup sunchokes
- ¼ cup parmesan cream
- ¼ cup fried leeks
- 1 T Fines herbs
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 T Oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 T Butter
Ingredients for Melted Leeks
- Clarified Butter
Ingredients for Roasted Maitake Mushrooms
- - Maitake Mushrooms
- - Salt
ingredients for Parmesan Cream
- 1 cups Flour
- 1 cups Butter
- ½ Gallon Whole Milk
- 1 cups Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ Tablespoon Nutmeg
Ingredients for Fried Leeks
Directions for Pan Seared Black Cod:
1. Fry off leeks and set aside. Get sauté pan hot. Add cooking oil and cook fish skin side down on high heat until skin is crispy. Flip over and finish with butter. Set Aside.
2. While fish is cooking, get another pan hot and add oil. On medium heat add roasted maitake mushrooms, sunchokes and melted leeks until warm.
3. Finish with fines herbs and lemon zest. While fish is cooking, and veggies are warming, reheat parmesan cream low and slow.
4. For plating, plate all veggies and garnish those with herbs and lemon zest. Cover plate in parmesan cream, using a slanted spoon for design. Place fish on top of veggies and garnish with fried leeks.
Directions for Melted Leeks:
1. Cut off dark green tops of leeks. Wash leeks in cold water (easiest way is to let soak in a bowl of water.) Cut into 1-inch rings and let dry on lint free towel.
2. Melt butter in pan (that you can cover.) Take off heat and add leeks carefully, make sure they are fully submerged in butter. Cover with lid and cook low and slow until tender.
Directions for Roasted Maitake Mushrooms:
1. Leave maitakes in clumps. Cut off ends of bottoms.
2. Toss maitakes in EVOO, season with salt and roast in high temperature oven (at herringbone we roast in our wood burning oven.) Once cooled cut each mushroom bunch into 5 to 6 portions.
Directions for Sunchokes:
1. Cut sunchokes into oblique cuts. Toss in EVOO and season with salt. Roast in high heat oven until tender. A little color is good. We roast in our wood burning oven at herringbone.
Directions for Parmesan Cream:
1. Combine butter and flour to create a roux, once have you have gotten to a blonde roux, add cold milk and whisk until fully combined.
2. Continue to cook till your roux is completely cooked out and you taste no flour at all. Once reduced by a quarter, add your parmesan and nutmeg.
3. Once cheese has melted blend in the vita mix and strain.
Directions for Fried Leeks:
1. Take Leeks and cut in half lengthwise, wash in cold water and disregard green tops. Cut leeks julienne and deep fry in rice bran oil at 300 degrees until lightly brown.