- 8 slices Texas Toast or 1-inch thick slices French bread
- 2 1/2 cups milk or walnut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (plus extra for baking dish)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup California walnuts, coarsely chopped
Total time Several hours to overnight
Serving size 1/12th of the recipe
Course Breakfast, brunch, dessert
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bread on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until it’s lightly toasted on the outside, but still very soft on the inside. Lightly butter a 13 X 9-inch baking dish.
2. Whisk together milk, sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon and eggs in a large bowl. Dip each bread slice into mixture and let soak for about 15 seconds on each side. Place in prepared baking dish, overlapping slices slightly if necessary. Pour any remaining egg mixture over the top. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until it’s golden brown and somewhat firm to the touch. Serve immediately.