- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch all spice
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups shellfish broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 green onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 pound medium peeled shrimp
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2) Whisk the flour into the very hot oil. it will immediately begin to sizzle and fizz.
3) Keep whisking and reduce the heat to moderate.
4) Continue whisking until the roux takes a gorgeous dark brown color, about 15 minutes.
5) Add the onions, reduce the heat, and cook until the onions caramelize.
6) If you add all the vegetables at the same time, the water that results will boil the onions and their sugars won’t caramelize.
7) When the onions have turned the roux shiny and dark, add the celery, bell peppers, garlic, thyme, and cayenne.
8) Cook for 5 minutes.
9) Now add the tomatoes and shellfish stock and increase the heat to high.
10) Once the sauce has come to a boil, reduce the heat to moderate and let simmer 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
11) Be careful not to let it burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
12) Reduce the heat to low.
13) Add the shrimp and green onions.
14) Season with tabasco, salt and black pepper.
15) Once the shrimp have heated through, remove the saucepan from the heat.
16) Serve in individual bowls over rice.
Return to the Episode Guide >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page
Get more from John at ChefJohnBesh.com