Ingredients for Caramelized Onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for Sliders
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for pan
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can lentils, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups cooked)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for Quick Basil Pesto
- 1 cup packed fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients. Process until smooth.
Ingredients for Tempeh Bacon
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
Mini buns or dinner rolls, sliced in half and toasted 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
To make the Caramelized Onions
In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions over medium heat until tender and slightly caramelized, about 20 to 30 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
To make the sliders
In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté mushrooms until just soft. Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a food processor and set skillet aside for later use.
Add lentils, flour, basil, salt and pepper to the processor. Pulse until the mixture just comes together. Refrigerate the mixture until chilled. If the mixture is too sticky, you can add a little bit of flour. Using the palms of your hands, form the mixture into mini patties, each about 2-inches in diameter by 1⁄2-inch thick.
Heat the reserved skillet over medium-high heat, and pan fry patties in batches, adding more olive oil as needed. Let the patties cook about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
Assemble sliders by layering the slider patty, basil pesto, caramelized onions, and tomatoes on the buns.
To make tempeh bacon
n a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and pan-fry until nicely browned. Season with salt. In a small bowl, whisk tamari, maple syrup, and sriracha. Add to skillet and let cook on low until evenly coated.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page