Ingredients to Build Sandwich (Makes 2)
- 4 pieces of Thick cut Sourdough Batard Bread ¾ of an inch thick
- 12 Medium Slices of Black Forest Ham
- 6 Slices of Jarlsburg Cheese or Swiss
- Dijon Mustard lightly spread as needed
- 2 tbsp of Canola Oil
Ingredients for French Toast Dredge
- 6 ea Farm Egg (Eggs and Whites)
- ½ cup Cream
- Orange Zest from One Orange
- 1 tsp of Ground Cinnamon
Make Side Salad
- 2 heads of frisse lettuce
- 8 oz. Pea Shoots
- 2 tbsp. Of Olive Oil
- ½ ea Lemon juiced
Garnish Your Monte Cristo
- 8 oz. of High Quality Local Maple Syrup
- 1oz of Bourbon (Optional)
- Powdered Sugar as needed for Garnish
1. Start by building your sandwiches. Spread very thinly the Dijon Mustard on both sides of the sliced Sourdough Bread. Begin by layering the sandwiches with two slices of Black Forest Ham with One Slice of Cheese creating a Napoleon effect. Place the ham and Cheese on top of bread and place second piece of bread as the lid. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. This helps stale bread slightly and product adheres together.
2. In Separate bowl mix all ingredients for dredge together and whisk thoroughly, use only the zest from the orange.
3. Remove Sandwich from Refrigerator and Place in egg mixture. Let set for a minute on each side to ensure that dredge is absorbed.
4. Pan Fry on Medium heat on Stove.
5. Once both Sides are golden brown and center is warmed through, remove from heat and place onto a plate. Garnish with Maple syrup and Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
6. In separate bowl combine Olive Oil, Lettuces, and lemon place the side of Monte Cristo.