- Non-stick oil spray
- 1 large unpeeled eggplant
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ¾ cup marinara sauce, store-bought or homemade
- ¾ cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Dried oregano to taste
- 10 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced into rounds
Makes about 12 slices
1. Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Mist a baking sheet with oil spray and set aside.
2. Cut off and discard both ends of the eggplant and then slice the eggplant into rounds about ½-inch thick. Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the baking sheet.
3. Brush the tops of the eggplant slices with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is soft and golden brown.
4. Top each slice with about 1 tablespoon of the marinara sauce and 1 tablespoon of the mozzarella cheese.
5. Sprinkle the slices with the Parmesan cheese and oregano, and have fun making smiley faces with the cherry tomatoes and extra cheese.
6. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.