Ingredients for Dough
- 1 (.25-ounce) package active yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ room-temp water
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- ½ cup of your favorite low-sodium tomato sauce
- 4 ounces good salami or pepperoni
- 4 ounces mild italian sasuage, cooked and crumbled
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and torn into pieces (I use house-smoked bacon from MJ’s steakhouse)
- 3 thin slices good-qulaity deli ham
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Pecorino-Romano cheese, freshly grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Fresh basil leaves, torn
1.Make the dough: Combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water in a measuring cup; let sit for 5 mins. Combine the bloomed yeast, four, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the room-temperature water in a steady stream, mixing until the dough begins to form a ball. Tranfer to a floured countertop, and knead with the heel of your hand until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 mins.
2. Coat a bowl with the olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, and cover with a clean damp cloth. Put in a warm spot to rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
3. When the dough has doubled in size, punch the dough, scrape it onto the counter, and knead it lightly into a smooth ball. Cut into 8 pieces and, with a rolling pin, roll each one out to form a very flat 5 to 6 inch circle.
4. Preheat the grill to medium-high. Lighty oil. Place the bread rounds on the hot grill, and cook without touching until you see bubbles on the surface, about 2 mins. Remove from the heat, and add the first 7 toppings. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
5. Return the flatbreads to the grill, close the lid, and cook for 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the bottoms are slightly charred.
6.Remove from the heat, and sprinkle with the freshly grated Parmesan and torn basil leaves.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page