Ingredients for Dough
- 1 C water (105-115 degrees)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/3 C nonfat dry milk
- 1/3 C butter
- 3 T honey
- 3 T sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 ½ to 4 C flour
- ¼ C melted butter
- 2/3 C sugar
- 1 ½ T grated orange zest
- White butter cream frosting to decorate
- Candied green & red cherries for garnish
1) Dissolve yeast in water in a large electric mixer bowl. Add dry milk, butter, honey, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on slow speed to blend, then beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add rest of flour to make a soft dough. Knead by hand until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Put in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down.
2) Put in a floured cloth. Cover. Let rest for 15 minutes. Roll out dough to a rectangle about ¾ inch thick. Cut into ½ inch strips. Roll each strip into a smooth rope.
Place melted butter in a shallow dish (like a pie plate). In another shallow dish combine sugar and orange zest. Dip each dough rope strip first into melted butter and then into orange sugar, coating each strip well.
3) Twist dough rope into a free-form Christmas tree shape on a greased cookie sheet. Join the next strip where the last one left off. Christmas tree shaped cake pans can also be used. Cover; let rise until double in size. Bake ina preheated 350 degree oven for 20 – 25 minutes until light golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on cooling rack. If desired, decorate tree with white icing and green and red cherries.
Makes 2-4 trees depending on size.