Chicken Tinga Tostadas Imgredients:
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- ¼ medium white onion
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon salt
For the Sauce:
- 4 oz raw pork chorizo
- 1 roughly chopped small white onion
- 1 roughly chopped garlic clove 1 pound tomatoes or 3 tomatoes boiled 30 seconds, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup sliced tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 sprig of marjoram
- 1 sprig of thyme
- ½ teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pureed chipotle
- 10 tostadas
- 1 cup warmed refried pinto beans (can be home made or canned)
- Shredded iceberg lettuce gor garnish
- Avocado Slices for garnish
- Queso Fresco for garnish
- Mexican Crema for garnish
- Radishes, sliced in ¼-inch rounds for garnish
- Salsa (homemade or store bought) for garnish
- Combine ingredients for the chicken in a large heavy sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn heat off and remove chicken from liquid. reserve liquid reserve for later use.
- Shred the chicken, using your hand in thin slices.
- In a large heavy saute pan, cook chorizo over medium heat until fully cooked, about 6 minutes.
- Remove chorizo and reserve. If chorizo does not leave 2 tablespoons of fat, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan.
- When oil is hot, add onion. Saute until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add tomato and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatillos and cook for 1 minute.
- Add marjoram, thyme, oregano,chorizo, chicken, salt, pepper, and chipotle. Continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Add between ½ and 1 cup of the chicken cooking liquid (broth), depending on thickness of sauce. Cook for 5 more minutes. Place 2 tablespoons of tinga on a tostada smeared with 1 tablespoons of refried beans tostada.
- Serve immediately with toppings on the side so people assemble themselves.
Click here for Marcela Valladolid's Pineapple-Vanilla Agua Fresca recipe>>
For More Information On Chef Marcela Valladolid:
Marcela Valladolid’s Chicken Tinga Tostadas