Ingredients for American Crusting Buttercream
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 1/4 cup Crisco shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 2lb bag of confectioners’ powdered sugar (white powdered sugar) or about 7 1/2 cups
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream
Ingredients for Honey Glaze
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp milk plus 2 tsp
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
DIRECTIONS FOR BUTTERCREAM
1. Cream your butter and shortening until well incorporated. Both must be at room temperature to prevent clumping.
2. Once creamed, add your vanilla and mix again.
3. Sift your powdered sugar to make sure there are no clumps and add it in.
4. Place a towel over your mixer to prevent a powdered sugar storm.
5. Once mixed, slowly add in your milk one Tbsp at a time because you can always add more but you can't take it out.
6. Mix until smooth, about 1 minute on medium to high speed. Be sure not to over-whip your buttercream. DON’T panic you won't ruin it if it whips longer.
Store unused buttercream in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to three months.
DIRECTIONS FOR HONEY GLAZE
1. Mix Honey and milk together in a medium bowl.
2. Add clear vanilla and keep stirring
3. Add lemon juice, I know it sounds strange, but it balances out the sweetness
4. Add sifted powdered sugar and mix until smooth. You should be able to pull the spoon straight up and it will drizzle down.
5. Dip cookies.
6. Place on wire rack with parchment paper to catch any drips. Allow 1 to 2 hours to dry.
Dip and pull straight up slowly. Mix in any colors to marbleize your cookies.
Second option outline with buttercream and fill with glaze. Your glaze will dry harder than your buttercream because the buttercream just crusts over.
COLORS NEEDED FOR GLAZE:
• Pink food coloring (Liquid)
• Red food coloring (Liquid)
COLORS AND TIPS NEEDED FOR ANEMONE FLOWER ON FINISHED COOKIE:
• Bright white icing color
• green (any green will work, I use a little to make a mint light green) gel food coloring
• Black gel food coloring (Americolor brand or Gel paste)
• Tip 104
• Tip 2