Recipe by Dan Kohler, 1/2/2020
Yield: ~12 cups
1. Add oil and popcorn kernels to 8-quart stock pot. Cover with lid. Place over high heat.
2. Leave in place until you hear the first kernel pop. Then shake the pot over the heat while the remaining kernels pop. Popcorn is finished when you hear a 2-second gap of silence in between pops. Remove pot from heat, remove lid, pour popcorn into large mixing bowl.
3. Toss with coconut shreds and set aside.
4. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add granulated sugar, maple syrup, brown sugar, butter, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, without stirring (you can swirl the pan if sugar clumps aren’t melting at first). Sugar will reach a deep-caramel brown around the 10-15 minute mark. Working quickly, remove caramel from heat and whisk in baking soda. Caramel will foam up and bubble.
5. Pour bubbling, foamy caramel over popcorn in bowl, toss with oil-sprayed spatulas until all kernels are evenly coated in maple candy caramel. Pour onto baking sheets to cool in one even layer.
6. Allow popcorn to cool to room temperature before serving.