- ¾ Cup buttermilk
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Mexican vanilla
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- Duncan hines deluxe carrot cake mix (carrot extra packet discarded)
ALMOND CREAM CHEESE BUTTERCREAM
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 8oz (one brick) cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅛ cup heavy cream
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1-2 cups toasted coconut
- Handmade fondant carrots
Makes 24 Cupcakes
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prep cupcake tins with cupcake liners, set aside.
2. in a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, shredded carrots, and vegetable oil until thoroughly combined. Sift in the cake mix and stir until just combined. Fill each cupcake-lined cupcake tin a little more than halfway full.
3. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until center comes out finished. Don't over-bake! Remove from oven, let cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature before frosting.
ALMOND CREAM CHEESE BUTTERCREAM:
1. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip up butter and cream cheese for about a minute until light and fluffy, and all the cream cheese has been incorporated (no lumps!). Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
2. Add in salt, vanilla, almond extract, and heavy cream until combined. Slowly add in powdered sugar, about a half cup at a time. Add in more heavy cream if needed for a thinner consistency. Whip on high for a minute to create a soft buttercream.
1. Using a large circle piping tip, swirl on one short layer of buttercream onto cupcakes.
2. Gently roll the frosted part of the cupcakes in the toasted coconut. Add another layer of buttercream on top, then top with the little fondant carrot.