Ingredients for Pickled Herring
- 2 Herring Fillets
- 4 cups water+1/4 cup salt for brine
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1 cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 teaspoons Yellow Mustard Seed
- 2 teaspoons Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons Red Chili Flakes
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Lemon, sliced thinly
- 1 Red Onion, sliced thinly
- 2 sprigs Dill
Ingredients for Marzipan
- 3 cups Blanched Almonds (or 2 cups Almond Meal)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 Egg White
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
- Confectioners Sugar for rolling and kneading
Steps for Pickled Herring
1. Soak the herring fillets in brine overnight.
2. Boil the pickling solution: wine, vinegar, spices, bay leaves, sugar. Allow to completely cool.
3. Pack jars with lemon, onion, dill, and drained fish.
4. Pour pickling liquid into jars. Screw on lid, put in fridge for at least three days.
Steps for Marzipan
1. If working with un-ground almonds, process them in a food processor until fine and sandy.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the egg white until it just begins to froth.
3. Add the almond meal to the stand mixer and paddle the egg what into the almond.
4. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, stir the sugar and water together until just combined. Stop stirring and boil the sugar until it reaches 238 degrees.
5. While the stand mixer is moving at a medium speed, slowly pour the hot sugar syrup into the almond mixture, beating until it forms a paste.
6. Add the almond extract and stir to combine. If adding color, now is the time to do so.
7. Remove the marzipan to a smooth surface and knead over some confectioners sugar until a desired sheen and consistency is achieved.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page