- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces pancetta, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds littleneck clams , cleaned scrubbed
- 1 cup chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (pinot grigio or sauv blanc)
- 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes (more if want spicier)
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley leaves, rough chop
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, rough chop
- 12 ounces dried linguine
- 2 oz unsalted butter (half stick)
- Smoked salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 french or sourdough loaf
Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large dutch oven with a lid over moderately high heat until hot (starts to simmer), but not smoking. Add pancetta, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and saute, stirring until golden being careful not to burn- will become bitter.
Stir in clams, broth, wine, and chile flakes and boil, covered until clams open, about 4 to 5 minutes (discard any clams that do not open after 5 minutes). While clams are cooking, cook pasta in a large stock pot (6 qt or larger) of salted boiling water until al dente (under cook by a minute). Drain in a colander, then add to clams with butter and bring back to a simmer, stirring until mixed thoroughly. Finish with parsley, basil, and remaining olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Serve with warm crusty bread.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page