- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, white and soft green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans chickpeas / garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup finely chopped celery with leaves (2-3 stalks)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
1) Heat the olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
2) Add the scallions and cook until slightly softened and fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds more.
Add the chickpeas and the salt, gently stirring to coat in the oil. Continue to heat the chickpeas, stirring occasionally, until warmed through and slightly softened, 2-3 minutes.
3) Remove from heat and add the celery, mustard, lemon zest, lemon juice, mint, and parsley.
Gently fold everything together. Taste and adjust seasoning if need be. This salad can be served warm right away, at room temperature, or chilled on toasted multi-grain bread as a sandwich or on greens lightly dressed with latholemono (lemon and olive oil) dressing.
Variation: If you want to make the salad a little more creamy, you can allow it to cool to room temperature and fold in a few tablespoons of Greek yogurt a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.