Directions for Chili
1. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the turkey and cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes, until brown on all sides.
2. Add the salsa, cabbage, broth, beans, taco seasoning, salt, and cayenne pepper, if using, and stir well.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish with the cilantro before serving.
Directions for Chicken Broth
1. Place the carcass, onion, celery, carrots, vinegar, garlic, peppercorns and salt in a large pot.
2. Add about 8 ½ cups water, adjusting the amount to cover the ingredients by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook for 4 hours.
3. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl. Pour the stock through the strainer. Discard the vegetables and bones in the strainer.
4. Once the broth is cool, ladle it into a glass jars. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 week, or freeze for up to several months.
5. Use a spoon to skim and discard any fat off the top before reheating.
Directions for Taco Seasoning
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large glass jar.
2. Cover and shake well to combine. The seasoning will keep at room temperature for several months.
3. Be sure to shake the jar before using.