Ingredients for Pizza
- Deep Dish Dough (see recipe)
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Handful of course cornmeal
- 24 oz Whole Milk Mozzarella, sliced into 12, two-ounce slices (prefer Grande brand)
- Deep Dish Sauce (see recipe)
- 9 oz bulk fennel sausage + 2 tsp of Calabrian chiles/red chili flakes added + 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp dried oregano
- 3 Tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese (prefer Locatelli brand; sheep’s milk)
Ingredients for Deep Dish Pizza Dough
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp toasted corn flour
- 2 tsp instant dry yeast
- 5 tsp corn oil
- 5 tsp olive oil
Ingredients for Deep Dish Sauce
- 2 cans (about 6.4 lbs each) Saporito Filetto tomatoes, drained for at least three hours
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 16 oz. Thin Pizza Sauce (see recipe below)
Ingredients for Thin Pizza Sauce
- 1 can (about 6.56 lb) 7/11 ground tomatoes
- 2/3 can (about 4.40 lb) Full Red Extra Heavy tomato puree
- 2 oz sugar
- 3 oz salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 8 tablespoons dried basil
- Pinch of cayenne
- 4 oz mirepoix ( (1 onions, ½ carrot, ½ celery stalk: small dice))
- 1 quart water
Directions for Pizza
1. Prepare dough as recipe instructs (below).
2. Place a pizza stone in oven and heat to at least 500˚, if you can reach 530˚ that’s better). Place thick, 2-ounce slices of whole milk mozzarella around entire dough surface, being sure to overlap slightly, and also up along the inner side of the pan.
3. Spread Deep Dish Sauce (see recipes below, combining thin pizza sauce with deep dish pizza sauce) evenly, but NOT all the way to the edge.
4. Pinch and press the bulk sausage onto the pie in an even pattern, starting on the perimeter and working your way to the center.
5. Sprinkle on dried oregano then grated Pecorino Romano evenly across the top.
6. Bake in 530-degree oven for about 40 minutes, checking to make sure the edges/perimeter do not get too dark. If necessary, cover the one-inch perimeter with foil to protect it. Check finished temp (in middle of pie, pressing in at an angle) until thermometer reaches 185 degrees.
Directions for Deep Dish Dough
1. Mix flour, water, salt, sugar, corn flour and yeast together until incorporated. Then add corn oil and olive oil to combine. Let sit for 2.5 hours, then form into a ball and refrigerate overnight.
2. Next day, form a 21-ounce ball. Brush the inside of a 12” deep dish pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle a generous, but even amount of coarse cornmeal around the bottom and sides of the pan. Press out dough on a floured surface and then place into the pan and let proof, covered, for an hour.
3. Flatten dough to edge of the pan and let sit for another 20-30 minutes. Push down dough evenly across the pan to the edge. DO NOT push dough up the edge of the pan. Cover for another one to 1.5 hours.
Directions for Deep Dish Sauce
1. Mix thoroughly by hand/spoon (do not use blender) until fully incorporated
Directions for Thin Pizza Sauce
1. Combine and blend first three ingredients by hand
2. Combine next five ingredients and add to tomatoes
3. Sweat onions, celery, carrots until onions are translucent and carrots are soft
4. Puree veggies until smooth. Use some of the water if necessary, to make smooth
5. Add vegetables to tomatoes and adjust the thickness with water