Ingredients for Chocolate Cake (Makes two layers, only use one)
- butter and flour for coating and dusting the cake pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for White Cake
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups milk, room temperature
Ingredients for Buttercream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
Ingredients for Chocolate Ganache
- 8 oz chocolate
- 8 oz heavy cream
Directions for Chocolate Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter two 6-inch cake rounds. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
3. Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
4. Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes.
5. Divide batter among the two pans.
6. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the cake meets the toothpick test (stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean).
7. Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
Directions for White Cake
1. Grease 2 6-inch pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in almond extract
3. Use a fork to combine the eggs and milk together in a bowl or 2 cup liquid measuring cup. Set aside
4. In another mixing bowl stir together cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix in until just combined. Add in half of the milk mixture and combine. Add in another ⅓ of the dry ingredients until combined followed by the remainder of the milk mixture. Add in the remainder of the dry ingredients and mix with the hand mixer until just combined, using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom to make sure everything is mixed in.
6. Divide the batter among the two prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes. Let sit in pans for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before layering and frosting.
Directions for Buttercream
1. In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
2. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
3. Gradually add milk or water; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Split buttercream into three bowls: a small scoop to be mixed with 1TBS milk for crumb coating, a large bowl dyed hot pink with food coloring, and one scoop left white for the ice cream scoop.
Directions for Ganache
1. Place cream and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave on high for one minute. Stir until smooth. Microwave on 15 second intervals if chocolate is still unmelted.
ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS FOR ICE CREAM DRIP CAKE:
· Rainbow Sprinkles
· Waffle Cone
ASSEMBLY OF ICE CREAM CAKE:
1. Layer cakes Vanilla, Chocolate, Vanilla, and fill with fudge in between layers.
2. Take your crumb coating buttercream and ice the cake with a thin layer to seal in all crumbs. Let cake set in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
3. Smoothly ice cake with hot pink buttercream, and let set in fridge for 30 minute to an hour.
4. Pour warm ganache over cake, gently guiding the drips down the edges. Add sprinkles, buttercream “ice cream” scoop, and cone to the top of cake. Let ganache set 30 minutes to an hour, and then serve.