Author of "Shut Up and Cook!" Erica Reid is in the kitchen whipping up a delicious breakfast that you can make using egg or extra-firm tofu that serves 4.
Huevos Rancheros with Black Beans
Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch
- 1 tomato, diced
- ¼ yellow onion, finely minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- Sea salt or Sea veg
- ¼ cup soy cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon rice milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 4 large eggs or 3 ounces tofu, sliced into 4 equal squares
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 batch of guacamole
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, minced, for garnish
- To make pico de gallo, combine tomato, onion, lime juice, and pinch of sea salt or Sea Veg. Give it a taste and adjust the salt to your liking.
- To make the dairy-free sour cream, add the soy cream cheese and rice milk to a small bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Set a small sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil or coconut oil. When the oil is hot, fry the eggs, one at a time, until cooked to your liking. If using tofu, add the tofu slices and cook until lightly browned, flipping halfway through, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- To assemble, divide the black beans between plates. Top each plate with a fried egg or a square of tofu, a dollop of dairy-free sour cream, a spoonful of pico de gallo, and guacamole. Garnish with cilantro.