- 1/2 tbs Active Dry Yeast
- 2 cups Bread Flour
- 1/2 cup Warm Water
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 ounce Lye
- Coarse Salt for sprinkling
- Plastic gloves, safety goggles, apron, nonreactive pans and utensils
1. Dissolve yeast in 2 Tb warm water along with the sugar, let it sit until it becomes frothy, about five minutes.
2. Add the bread flour, salt, and yeast mixture to a stand mixer and then pour in the remaining warm water. Knead the dough until it comes together.
3. Let the dough rest for 5 minuets, then knead in the butter until the dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Rub olive oil on the dough ball and set it back in the mixing bowl to rise. Cover it with a towel and let it sit for one hour, or until nearly doubled in size.
5. Pull pieces of dough from the ball and roll them into thin strands, thicker in the middle than at the end. Shape these strands into pretzels.
6. Place the shaped pretzels on baking trays lined with parchment paper, then let them cool in the refrigerator for one hour.
7. Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
8. Mix the lye into the water and stir until combined.
9. Dip the chilled pretzels in the lye solution for 30 seconds, then replace them on the baking trays.
10. Slide the baking sheets into your oven for 15-20 minutes, then remove them to cool on a rack.
Return to the Episode Guide >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page