- 7 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces hazelnut meal
- 1 ounce white rice flour
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
Recipe by Dan Kohler, 11/22/19
Yield: 1 9-inch tart pan
1. Grease sides and bottom of 10-inch tart pan with butter.
2. Sift all-purpose flour with rice flour, whisk in hazelnut meal.
3. Cream butter with sugar and sea salt in bowl of stand mixer until smooth and light.
4. Add all the flour mixture, then beat on the lowest speed until barely combined and dry spots just disappear.
5. Press dough into prepared tart pan evenly. Cover with plastic wrap then refrigerate for at least one hour.
6. Heat oven to 300.˚ Pre-score the shortbread with lines that you’ll cut along after baking. Use a small ring-cutter to cut out a circle in the center of the dough. Remove the circle of dough and replace the ring cutter in the center before baking. Use a skewer or fork and poke holes along the surface of the dough to prevent bubbling and cracking in the oven.
7. Bake 50-60 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from tart pan ring. Slice into wedges and place cookies on wire rack to cool completely.