Ingredients for Ham Steak
- 2 Ham Steaks
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- ¼ cup brewed coffee
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
Ingredients for the Creamy Grits
- 1 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cups Water
- ½ cup Coarse Ground White Corn Grits
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Melt bacon fat in large sauté pan. Add ham steaks and cook on medium high until browned, then flip and brown the other side, about 3 minutes per side. Remove ham steaks to serving platter.
2. Add coffee, water and molasses to pan and bring to boil. Scrape bits from ham into gravy. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter. Pour over ham steaks and serve with grits.
1. Bring milk and water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Whisking constantly, pour in the grits. Add 1 teaspoons kosher salt, reduce to a bare simmer, and cook, whisking every 2 to 3 minutes, until creamy and tender, about 25 minutes.
2. Remove saucepan from heat. Whisk in butter. Season to taste with pepper and more salt, if necessary.