Directions for Jamaican Chicken
1. Squeeze lime over chicken and rub well. Drain off excess lime juice.
2. Combine tomato, scallion, onion, garlic, thyme, pimento and soy sauce in a large bowl with the chicken pieces. Cover and marinate at least one hour.
3. Heat oil in a dutch pot or large saucepan. Shake off the seasonings as you remove each piece of chicken from the marinade. Reserve the marinade for sauce.
4. Lightly brown the chicken a few pieces at a time in very hot oil. Place browned chicken pieces on a plate to rest while you brown the remaining pieces.
5. Drain off excess oil and return the chicken to the pan. Pour the marinade over the chicken and add the carrots tomato, ketchup and thyme. Stir and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
6. Mix flour and coconut milk and add to stew, stirring constantly. Turn heat down to minimum and cook another 45 minutes or until tender.
Directions for Jamaican Rice & Peas
1. Rinse and sort beans and place in a stockpot.
2. Cover with several inches of water and soak overnight,-or- bring to a boil, boil gently for 3 minutes, then remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit undisturbed for 1 hour.
3. Drain and rinse beans.
4. Bring to a boil with chicken stock, water, and coconut cream.
5. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours or until beans are tender and creamy.
6. Add the thyme, allspice, scallion, onion, garlic, brown sugar, uncooked rice, salt and pepper.
7. Check the level of liquid over the rice and make sure there is at least one inch of liquid (if not, you may add water or broth to cover).
8. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
9. Serve hot as a side dish, with Jamaican hot sauce as a condiment, if desired.
10. For Vegetarian use water not the chicken broth or stock.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page