DIRECTIONS FOR THE CHICKEN:
1. Remove and discard ½ the herbs on the chicken
2. Season both sides of the chicken with spice blend (optional - recipe follows) or salt and pepper.
3. Heat a large cast iron pan to medium high.
4. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan about 1 t.
5. Place chicken in the pan skin side down.
6. Place another cast iron pan on the chicken and slightly reduce heat.
7. Cook chicken for 2 minutes then remove the cast iron.
8. Continue cooking the chicken until the skin is super crisp approximately another 5 minutes.
9. Baste the chicken a few times while it cooks.
10. Adjust the heat as you go in order to maintain a good sauté, you do not want to simmer your chicken!
11. Once the fat has rendered from the skin, turn the chicken to the flesh side and cook until it reaches 155˚ and remove from pan.
12. Discard the oil from the pan and deglaze with the chicken stock reduce by half, swirl in the butter, finish with lemon, s&p.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE SPICE BLEND (OPTIONAL):
1. Separately grind the top 5 spices in a spice grinder or coffee mill until fine and place in a bowl.
2. Add remaining spices and mix thoroughly and place in an airtight container.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE RICE GRITS:
1. Bring water and salt to a boil.
2. Stir in carolina gold, bring to a boil then simmer.
3. Stirring occasionally, cook until tender approximately 15 min.
4. Drain rice and reserve the cooking liquid.
5. Return rice and stir in 1 cup of liquid, simmer while stirring until desired texture is achieved.
6. Stir in more liquid if looser consistency is needed.
7. Season with salt, pepper and finish with butter and cheese.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE CARROTS:
1. Place carrots in a bowl, season with salt, pepper and 1 t. Of the oil.
2. Transfer carrots to a baking sheet and cook for 30 min turning the carrots every 10 min.
3. Add remaining ingredients and cook for another 10 min or until tender.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE PESTO:
1. Place carrot tops, toasted seeds, garlic, paprika, zest in a food processor.
2. Pulse the ingredients into a paste and begin to drizzle in the oils.
3. Once oils are added season with salt, pepper and parmesan.
1. Place a single serving of rice grits to the plate.
2. Arrange carrots around the grits.
3. Place chicken on the grits and drizzle the sauce around the plate.
4. Finish with several dollops of the pesto and enjoy!