Chef Bruce Kalman is showing you the art of pickling.
- 3 ¼ C distilled white vinegar
- 3 ½ oz granulated sugar
- 1 ½ oz pure ocean salt
- ½ lb Serrano chiles, whole
- 10 oz red bell peppers, stems and seeds removed, diced
- 5 ¼ oz yellow onions, diced
- 1 lb cauliflower, small florets
- 1 lb carrots, thin slices
- 1 lb celery with light green leaves, sliced thin
- 1 oz garlic, chopped fine
- 2 Tbls yellow mustard seed
- 1 Tbls dried oregano
- 1 ¼ C extra virgin olive oil
Pickling - Home & Family
1. In a medium non-reactive sauce pot, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt and bring to a boil.
2. Add the chiles (whole, do not cut) and cook through until pale green in color but still crisp; remove from the heat and cool completely with the chiles in the brine; allow to sit overnight.
3. Remove the chiles and slice thin.
4. Return the brine to a pot and heat to 200F.
5. In a plastic container, combine all of the ingredients and stir well.
6. Allow to marinate for 1-2 days before serving.