Share

George Lopez - Carnitas Tacos with Pineapple Habanero Salsa

HHAF8102-200203-121920.jpg
Delicious tacos from actor, comedian and restauranteur George Lopez.
Ingredients

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/2 lb cooked carnitas
  • ¼ cup pickled red onion
  • 6 tortillas (12 corn tortillas if you want to make street style tacos)
  • 2 tablespoons cotija cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1/3 cup pineapple habanero salsa

CARNITAS:

  • Lard (enough to cover)
  • 3-4 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 4” by 4” cubes
  • 2 cups coca cola
  • 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • ½ cups kosher salt
  • ½ cups water

PICKLED RED ONION:

  • 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup apple red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup hot or warm water
  • ¼ cup red wine

Makes 6 Tacos

DIRECTIONS:

1. Warm tortillas in hot pan or on griddle

2. Fill each with 2oz of carnitas

3. 5-6 pieces of pickled red onion

4. 1 teaspoon of cotija cheese

5. 1 teaspoon of cilantro

6. 1 tablespoon pineapple habanero salsa

CARNITAS DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat lard to 350 degrees, add cut pork carefully, cook until pork is caramelized.

2. Turn heat down to 208 degrees and cook until pork is tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

3. In a container, mix together coke, orange juice, orange zest, salt and water.

4. Carefully pour off 80% of the pork lard and reserve for a later use. Add coca cola mix to pork and remaining 20% of lard.

5. Let pork marinate in liquid for about 20 minutes. Remove pork from liquid carefully break apart into large chunks using tongs. Serve, if you like pork can be lightly re-crisped on a hot griddle.

PICKLED RED ONION DIRECTIONS:

1. Bring all ingredients except onions to a boil. When sugar and salt is dissolved pour over red onions, allow to cool.

Get more from this episode >>