- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Salt and Pepper
- Bacon drippings or vegetable oil plus 1 or 2 slices bacon (optional)
- 5 green tomatoes, cored and cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F
2. Combine the eggs, milk, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper in second bowl.
3. Fill a deep skillet with 1⁄2 inch of bacon drippings or oil and add the bacon, if using.
4. Heat until the fat reaches 350 degrees F on deep-fry thermometer.
5. Dip the tomato slices in the egg mixture, coating them evenly. Then dip them into the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Slide the tomatoes into the hot oil in batches and fry until they are crisp and golden brown on both sides, about 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Drain the tomatoes on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
7. Transfer them to a second baking sheet lined with foil and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
8. Serve warm, season with salt and pepper.
Return to the Episode Guide >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page