Cristina’s daughter Alex shares a simplified version of her mom’s tomato sauce recipe!
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil (pantry staple)
- 2 cloves garlic (pantry staple)
- 4 scallions, bottoms removed, rough chopped, leaving about 3 inches of green part off. ($0.99)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flake
- 2 1lb packages baby tomatoes ($2.99 x2 )
- 1 lb gluten free penne (approx. 3.39)
- ½ cup basil ($2.99)
In a large sauce pot, heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add two cloves garlic smashed, 4 chopped scallions, red pepper flake and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft.
Next add baby tomatoes and a good pinch of salt, cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
After 20 minutes, add ½ the basil into the tomatoes. stir and remove from heat.
Pour everything into a blender and blend until smooth. Place back into the pot, taste for seasoning. Add more salt if needed.
Cook for another 5 minutes, just until the sauce comes together.
Cook pasta according to instructions.
Combine pasta and sauce and sprinkle with parmesan, more chili flake and sliced basil.
Return to Episode Guide >>
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.