Ingredients for the Meringue
- 8 each Fresh Egg whites
- 1 teaspoon Cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Sea salt
Ingredients for the Crème Anglaise
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy cream
- ½ each Fresh Vanilla Bean
- ¼ Cup Granulated sugar
- 8 each Fresh egg yolks
Ingredients for the Caramel Garnish
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Glucose or corn syrup
- 2 drops lemon juice
Recipe Courtesy Chef Sally Camacho Mueller -- TesseRestaurant.com
1. In a mixer with whisk attachment, whisk room temperature whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Rain in sugar slowly until medium stiff peak.
2. Add vanilla and salt. Whisk in to combine.
3. Spoon into buttered ramekins that have been placed on a half sheet tray. Pour water onto the sheet tray to cover the bottom.
4. Place tray in a 300°F oven. This allows the meringue to steam. Bake/steam for about 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, remove the meringues from the ramekins and store in fridge until ready to use.
1. In a medium saucepot, combine milk and cream. Slice vanilla bean, scrape seeds and place in pot with pod. Bring mixture to scald.
2. Meanwhile, place egg yolks in a bowl. Whisk with sugar.
3. Temper yolks with hot cream mixture. Add yolks to pot.
4. Cook untill sauce has coated back of spoon.
5. Chill immediately over an ice bath. Keep chilled until ready to use.
1. Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot. Bring to a dark caramel state. I look for color for when it’s done. Pour onto a half sheet tray line with a silpat. With 2 pairs of gloves on, pull the sugar to create organic sheets of caramel to adorn the floating island.
2. If you do not wish to do that, you can take a fork and dip it in the caramel and make patterns of caramel onto the silpat to set.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS NEEDED TO PLATE:
· Blackberries or raspberries
· Tart Sorbet of your choice,; I prefer Cassis
· Optional, brioche croutons
· Place meringue in a shallow bowl. Place berries around meringue. Pour sauce, enough to cover the bottom of the bowl. Top meringue with a scoop of sorbet. Finish with the caramel garnish.