Chef Betty Fraser is making a delicious trifle with butterscotch pudding, cinnamon apples, pomegranate whipped cream, pumpkin bread and pumpkin seeds.
- 1 1/2 cups of dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup of corn starch
- 1 T salt
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 T butter, salted
- 1 T vanilla or bourbon extract
Uber Moist Pumpkin Bread
- ½ cup butter, salted and softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 & ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 & ½ cups all-purpose flour
Granny Smith Cinnamon Apples
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored and cubed into 2" cubes
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup of cinnamon, ground
- 1 t salt
Pomegranate Whipped Cream
- 4 cups of heavy cream
- 3 T corn starch (tip)
- 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 cup of pomegranate seeds, cold
- Toasted & salted pumpkin seeds
Super Creamy Butterscotch Pudding (Serves 6)
- Mix together dry ingredients and place them into a 3 quart stock pot. Turn flame to medium low.
- Blend together milk, cream and yolks, slowly whisk the dairy into the dry and increase the heat to medium. You will whisk this for about 5 - 10 minutes until it thickens....I promise it will happen.
- When fully thickened, add extract and blend in butter well until all is absorbed into the pudding. Remove from heat, let cool and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a 9" loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine all of the above bread ingredients and beat at medium speed with a handheld mixer or stand mixer until well-mixed.
- Pour the bread mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for approx. 40-50 minutes, text for doneness with toothpick or knife tip. Cool for about 15 minutes, then very gently remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Gently cut into cubes or crumble.
- In a large non-stick skillet, combine all and sauté until the apples have softened, about 7 minutes, set aside and let cool
- In a chilled bowl, pour the 4 cups of cold heavy cream.
- With a hand or stand mixer, beat the cream until soft peaks form.
- Gently sprinkle in the corn starch and powdered sugar, whip until peaks are just about firm, then add vanilla and whip to incorporate.
- Gently fold in the pomegranate seeds and refrigerate until ready to use.
NOTE: Corn starch will help the cream stay sturdy and not break down
- In a trifle bowl, layer pumpkin bread, pudding, apples -- and continue in 2 to 3 more layers.
- Top with whipped cream and toasted & salted pumpkin seeds.