Betty Fraser is making a delicious baked Autumn apple pancake.
Fall Apple Pear Dutch Baby
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 3/4 cup whole milk, room temp
- 3/4 cup ap flour
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 t almond extract
- 1 t ground pumpkin pie spice
- 6 t salted butter, divided
- 10" cast iron skillet
BROWN SUGAR APPLES AND PEARS:
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 large gala apple, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 large pear (of your choosing)
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (or whatever dried fruit or raisin you like)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
THYME WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 t vanilla
- Preheat skillet in 425 oven for 10 min.
- Whisk eggs through pumpkin pie spice together until blended. Melt 3 t butter in 10" cast iron skillet and spread butter to edges of skillet. Slowly pour the batter into the pan and return the pan to the oven for about 10 minutes.
- While the Dutch baby is baking make the toppings.
BROWN SUGAR APPLES AND PEARS
- Melt remaining 3 t butter over medium heat in a medium saute pan. When melted add all ingredients except for the walnuts. Let them simmer for about 7 minutes. Set aside
THYME WHIPPED CREAM
- In a chilled bowl, whip cream until it begins to thicken. Slowly add the maple syrup and vanilla, when thick peaks begin to form, add the fresh thyme.
- When the Dutch baby is ready, puffed and custardy in the center, carefully remove from oven. Top with fruit, whipped cream and top with chopped toasted walnuts. Serve immediately.