Ingredients and Materials
- Mason Jar with Lid
- Baking Floss
- 1 cup of Brandy
- ⅔ Cup Sugar
- Hammer and Nail
- Lazy Susan
1. Use a hammer and nail to poke a couple of small holes through the top of the mason jar
2. Use 2 strings of baking floss, push them through the holes in the top of the mason jar. Poke two toothpicks through the orange. Tie the orange to the underside of the lid and set aside.
3. In the jar, mix 1 cup of brandy and ⅔ cups sugar. DO NOT STIR THIS. (allow the sugar to dissolve into the sugar and allow the sugar to absorb the brandy). You can see that I put mine onto a lazy susan. This will come into play later on.
4. Close the orange-lid on top of the sugar/brand mix.
5. Take this carefully and put it in a dark closet. You’ll have it here between 10 and 20 days.
6. Don’t jostle the jar during this time. A chemical reaction happens when the brandy and the sugar is disturbed. If it is on the lazy susan, you can gently turn it so that the air moves, but the liquid stays still. Every day, give it a complete turn.
7. Between day 11 or 21, open up your mason jar, remove your orange, then stir the sugar for the first time. You will now have your liqueur. Leave it closed to age from now until christmas!
8. Store in a dark bottle and this will last for years! Just remember, anything that needs to be aged, gets better over time!