- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp dried Elderberries
- 1 tbsp slippery elm powder (optional but great for cough) + 1⁄2 cup for dusting
- 1.5 cups honey
- Candy Thermometer
1) Pour boiling water over herbs, mix and leave to steep for 20 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, add the honey to a heavy bottomed saucepan
3) Strain the herbs from the water using cheesecloth, and add 1 cup of the tisane to the saucepan.
4) Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
5) Place the slippery elm powder that you are going to use for dusting in a small bowl. -Bring to a boil, and continue boiling until temperature reaches 300 degrees (known as “Firm Ball” in candy making), on your thermometer. Use a wooden spoon to stir the mixture during the first few minutes of boiling, but after it reaches 300 degrees, just let it bubble away.
6) As soon as your mixture has reached the “firm ball” stage, remove from the heat and pour into the baking sheet.
7) It will set very quickly, so as soon as it’s cool enough to handle (a minute or so), make little scoops with your spoon, and with your fingers, firm into little ball shapes.
8) Roll the balls in the slippery elm powder to prevent them from sticking to each other.
Check out more recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page