- 4 cups goat milk
- 2 cups heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-pound frozen, pitted cherries, thawed
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- zest of one small orange
FOR THE RICOTTA:
1. Set a large sieve over a deep bowl. Dampen 2 layers of cheesecloth with water and line the sieve with the cheesecloth
2. Pour milk and cream into a stainless steel or enamel pot. Stir in the salt. Bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and stir in the vinegar. Allow the mixture to stand for 1 minute until it curdles. It will separate into curds and whey.
3. Pour the mixture into the cheesecloth lined sieve and allow to drain into the bowl for 20-25 minutes. The longer the mixture drains, the thicker the ricotta. Use immediately or cover with plastic wrap. The ricotta will keep for 4 to 5 days refrigerated
FOR THE CHERRIES:
1. Place cherries in a large, shallow, heat-proof bowl; set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine wine, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, and orange zest. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Pour hot liquid over cherries. Set aside until mixture is room temperature and cherries are slightly soft, about 1 hour.
2. Drain cherries, reserving the poaching liquid. Discard vanilla bean, and orange zest. Return cherries to large bowl. Place reserved poaching liquid in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the honey. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; continue to boil until liquid has reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Pour hot liquid over cherries. Chill for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight. Serve in shallow bowls, topped with a spoonful of ricotta.