Directions for Torte
1. Preheat oven to 300 F
2. Coat bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, water, and espresso in a large saucepan; stir well and bring to a boil. Remove from heat; add cocoa, salt, and chocolates, stirring with a whisk until chocolate melts. Stir in egg yolks. Stir in flour; cool to room temperature. Set aside.
4. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with a mixer until foamy. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold one-fourth of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; repeat procedure with remaining egg white mixture, one-fourth at a time. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake at 300° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Remove sides from pan.
5. Top with Warm Fudge Sauce (recipe below)
6. Drizzle slice with Rim Zabione (recipe below)
Directions for Warm Chocolate Sauce
1. In a heavy saucepan heat sugar, butter, cocoa powder, chocolate and cream over moderate heat. Whisk stirring constantly.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, but make sure the sauce does not burn or scorch.
3. Remove from the heat.
4. Add the salt and vanilla.
5. Cool to room temperature.
6. Sauce keeps, covered and chilled, 1 week.
7. Serve sauce warm.
DIrections for Rum Zabaione
1. In the small bowl of the mixer, put egg yolks, sugar and rum.
2. Place over a double boiler and whisk until mixture is too hot to put your finger in it… about 8 minutes.
3. Place on the mixer and whisk until bowl is cool to the touch. Chill mixture over an ice bath.
4. Whip 1-quart heavy cream to soft peaks. Fold into the rum mixture
5. Refrigerate until very cold. Makes 1.5 quarts.