Ingredients for Puff Pastry
- 5 cups bread flour or AP Flour
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ice water (or as needed)
Ingredients fro Topping
- 1-2 cups Pearl Sugar, Crystal Sugar or Raw (Turbinado) Sugar
Ingredients for Vanilla Buttercream
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup butter (3 sticks room temperature)
Ingredients for Raspberry Jam Filling
- Add 1-3 teaspoon water to 2-3 cups of your favorite jam and blend/mix until it will pipe easily , but not too thick and not liquid
DIRECTIONS – PUFF PASTRY
1. Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Gradually stir in water until the dough holds together enough to clean the sides of the bowl. You may not need the full amount of water. Shape into a flat ball and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
2. Place the butter between two pieces of plastic wrap and roll into a flat oval using a rolling pin. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until firm.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a large rectangle about ½ inch thick. Place the disc of chilled butter in the center and fold the two ends over it so that it is completely encased in dough. Roll the dough again to 1/2 inch thickness Be careful not to let the butter break through the dough. Fold the dough into thirds.
4. This is the first “turn” Rotate the dough 90 degrees and roll out the rectangle again. Fold into thirds by this time the butter is starting to warm up. Place the dough on a baking sheet and mark it with two pokes (two turns) Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes
5. Repeat the rolling folding and turning two more times. Then refrigerate until firm. Repeat two more times for a total of 6 turns wrap and refrigerate. The dough is now ready to rolls out and cut out roll the dough our as thin as ¼ inch. We cut into ovals and roll into oblong shaped waffles, but they can be made in small circles or your desired shape.
6. Pour sugar on a tray or surface where you can roll out the waffles. Place the cut-out waffles on the bed of sugar (granulated, crystal, pearl or turbinado sugar all work) and roll out waffles in the sugar, into desired shape of waffles. Turn them over so sugar is on both sides. Place waffles on parchment paper on baking sheet and put in the fridge to rest for XXX minutes
7. Bake puff pastry in a preheated oven of 400 degrees F for 12 minutes
DIRECTIONS - BUTTERCREAM
1. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, using the paddle or whisk attachment whip butter on medium-high speed (if using whisk attachment whip on high speed) for 7-8 minutes until nearly white and very fluffy.
2. Add in powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract and mix on low speed until blended then increase speed to medium and beat until very light and fluffy (and pale white) about 5-6 minutes, frequently scraping down the sides of the bowl.
3. Fill a pastry bag with buttercream for piping buttercream into the center of the puff pastry waffles.
DIRECTIONS - RASPBERRY JAM
1. Mix your favorite raspberry jam with 1-2 tsp water to thin it to pipe –but make sure it is not liquid.
2. Fill a pastry bag with raspberry jam to pipe the jam into the center of the waffle.
3. Once the puff pastry waffles are cooled, turn over ½ the waffles and pipe or spread the Buttercream and raspberry jam into the center of the baked puff pastry waffle then top with the other piece to complete the Danish Waffle.